The story of a ex-triad who became grassroots volunteer and sculpture artist in the making. (Story from The Straits Times, Monday, November 1, 2010, Pg B6.)
Once a triad chief, the 31-year old has been in trouble with the law since 19. Today he volunteers fervently in Jurong GRC.
"As I lay in bed in prison, I would reflect on what I had done, and the more I reflected, the more I repented."
"I came to a decision: if my past was a disaster to my family and society, the purpose of my present existence is to repent, repay and rebuild."
With much support and encouragement from the people around him, and the Yellow Ribbon Project (http://www.yellowribbon.org.sg/); Mr Kim is now a first-year student pursuing a diploma in fine at at Lasalle Collage of the Arts.
His passion is sculpture, which he wants to use to bring hope to the community that has helped him get back on his feet. "If something is not straight, you make it straight," drawing a parallel between his art and his redemption.
I feel that his story is such an encouragement to many people. Its not just what he is doing, but his story and journey will inspire more people from different walks of life to really admire his spirit and determination. Now as he pursues sculpturing, I believe we can expect greater things, both artistic and socially beneficial. To take time to seek out the entire article.
Full Story available at:
http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_597715.html
(Subscription required)
Jeremy